Thursday, December 17, 2009

No time to stop!

I am really struggling to promptly take pictures of everything I've been making and doing- it seems I'd rather spend my time making more stuff!   I have been quite productive, although not quite on track with my (unrealistic?) goals of having a certain little boy's quilt done for Christmas and making ornaments for gifts.

What I have done...

- baby girl PJs

Baby PJs2



So this my little Strawberry in her first proper PJs.  I used the babushka fabric and a circa 1990 Burda baby magazine pattern- not actually pyjamas, but a tunic/dress and 3/4 pants- the closest I could find to what I wanted.  I always intended to make the top, as it looked cute and I thought bias binding trim made things easy.  Not so, in this case.  I had never used bias binding this way before- I used to just encase the fabric edge and sew one row of stitching, rather than opening it out like in this pattern.  But it does look cute.  Made my own binding out of a fat quarter I had in the stash.

The pattern was so confusing I actually cut off the shoulder seam allowance! And nearly cried.  And then grafted the fabric back together using Vilene like a strip of sticky tape and a tiny zigzag.  I then sewed a slightly larger seam allowance and did some topstitching to reinforce- still I have no idea if those shoulder seams are going to hold!  Next time I might just ignore the instructions.  


Back view

Baby PJs1



The waistline binding continues round the front.  Just modeling here, to be worn properly for the first time on Christmas Eve!



 Otherwise...

- made another pair of the Oliver + S shorts in denim (grubby already and in the wash), this time with flat-felled seams, and I managed to work out how to have the crotch seam perfectly centred.  Will show soon!

- Oliver + S swingset tunic in progress

- enjoyed visiting the great Asia Pacific Triennial at QAG/GOMA, still plan to visit again.

- saw the Wiggles on Sunday- Mr F paid close attention and stayed very still, and Strawberry clapped until she fell asleep!  A great show!

- saw Away We Go (first movie in ages, thank you visiting mother- in-law)and thought it was just lovely.

- really getting into Kasey Chambers, Poppa Bill and the Little Hillbillies at the moment- some of the songs make me cry they are so sentimental!  The kids however, are not into this album anywhere near as much as I am.


We are off to boiling Rockhampton for some pre Christmas family visiting this weekend, and then it's the mad rush to be ready for Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment